The Lumberland Rifle Company, 1843

Greetings!!

I'm sorry it has been a while but I have been on the hunt, LOL.  Genealogists always hunt for more information.  And here I am hunting, LOL.

The following newspaper article was written in 1843 in the Monticello, NY Republican Watchman and I obtained it from fultonhistory.com  a wonderful FREE newspaper site.  Check it out if you have not already!

In the article is mentioned a Capt. B B Parker.  He was my great great grandfather.  He would be forever remembered as "Captain".  I have been trying to find more information about the Lumberland Rifle Company since I found this article.  Unfortunately, without success so far.  But the search will continue until I do or I have completely exhausted all resources.

Lumberland was the name of a township in Sullivan County NY.  At the time of this article my Parker ancestors lived in Lumberland Township.  Later, the township would be divided into additional townships and the Parker property would then be located in the newly formed Highland Township.

B B Parker, aka Benjamin Burlin Parker was a prominent man in his community.  He was an industrious hard worker who wore many hats.  He was a farmer, lumberman, millwright, surveyor, constable, fire marshal and tax accessor.  He was instrumental in the division of the Lumberland Township, (according the the History of Sullivan County written by Quinlan).  Benjamin and his wife Emaline had 8 daughters and one son.  I descend from his son.

I have also included a photo of grand pa Benjamin gifted to me by a distant cousin I met while doing genealogy.  Most of the photos I have of ancestors were gifted to me and I am so grateful!!




Until next time,,,,





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life saver,,,,,,,

It's just a theory,,,,,,,