Ancestry DNA,,,,,,

Greetings!!

I took an Ancestry DNA test in the hopes of getting some leads of who the parents of Benjamin B Parker, my great great grandfather were.  I recently received my results.

I did indeed get some very loose leads to my Parker ancestry.  Benjamin continues to be my brick wall.  But I will pursue these leads in the hopes of getting somewhere.

However, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to find this surprise.  Let me explain.  I found a very high match to someone who's name I did not recognize.  This match was for a first to second cousin.  I was sure I knew all my first cousins so was thinking a first cousin once removed.  But that would mean this person was perhaps an adoptee.  I sent him a message on ancestry asking for more information on his family because his tree did not show any information.

He replied he was adopted!!  He was trying to find his biological parents.  Given his age and location I knew he had to be the son of one of my cousins.  But which one?  I started making some phone calls, but truthfully, had a pretty good idea who to call.  Sure enough, she had a baby young that for circumstances at the time she felt she had to put up for adoption.

With some messaging back and forth I put mother and son in contact with each other.  The rest is up to them.  I purposely did not include names out of respect for their privacy as they get to know each other.  I also did not exchange personal information for each of them until they both gave the go ahead to do so.

One must remember  to handle DNA results in an ethical manner, respect the privacy of others.  Had the birth mother said she did not want me to give him her name and contact information, I would not have done it.  Although, it was just a matter of time before he figured it out on his own.  DNA does not lie.

Admittedly, I am a novice learning all the ins and outs of DNA as I go, but I am quite impressed with its accuracy.  I have another "mystery" match on the other side of my family and sent this young man a message on ancestry.com as well.  He has not gotten back to me yet and I have not really researched it to figure out how he fits into my family, but again, the match is very high, this time though, second to third cousin.

I have over 1000 DNA matches on ancestry.  Some I expected, most I did not know about.  The line with the least connections is of course the Parker line.  The line I wanted the most.  Then it occurred to me, there really are very few left alive in that line, and so, there are not enough DNA samples out there to track.  I might never get the answers through DNA.

The search continues.

Until next time,,,,,,,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life saver,,,,,,,

The Lumberland Rifle Company, 1843

It's just a theory,,,,,,,