A huge brick wall, busted!!!

Greetings!!

Yesterday I had a real stroke of luck and broke down a huge brick wall.  I am so excited!!  A distant cousin had told me that my great great grandmother Emeline Parker's, (wife of Benjamin B Parker) maiden name was Horton.  Turns out that was wrong!!  I had searched for a Horton that would fit the correct location and time frame for years to no avail.

I had found that on my great grandfather's military records it said his mother's name was Elen Bennet.  Elen is Emeline's middle name and often members of my family went by their middle name.  Anyhow, I asked the cousin about this record but he stated it must be wrong because we "know" Emeline's maiden name was Horton.  He was sure of it.  So, I took him at his word and kept searching.  He had also stated she was from Wayne County, PA.  A statement he now denies.  

After a long time searching I finally decided to take a look at the last name Bennet.  Primarily because the only source I could find for her last name being Horton was on the death certificate of Mary Amelia Parker, one of Emeline and Benjamin's daughters.  Nothing else to confirm this and sorry to say but I have discovered a long history of Mary Amelia and her family getting names and locations wrong.

Lo and behold, yesterday I found a marriage record from NY city on familysearch.org  for their daughter Emma Frances to Charles "Fred" Myers.  This information was already confirmed through other resources.  The NY city marriage records are a recent addition to family search and were not available in prior searches.  On the marriage record, which I will post below is Emma's parents names which includes Emeline's maiden name!!  Yayyyyyyyyyy!!!  I now have two sources stating Emeline's maiden name as Bennet, not Horton!!

A quick search for Bennets in Lumberland Township, Sullivan County, NY in 1840  yielded one Bennet family.  I know that Benjamin shows up in Lumberland by 1843 because of a newspaper article I have.  He first shows in the census in 1850, perhaps because he either arrived after the 1840 census was enumerated or because he was not the head of household at that point.  The Bennet that shows up is in the same area, with same neighbors that Benjamin shows in 1850.  I cannot read the first name for sure but it looks like it could be Andrew to me.  I will include a picture here, please let me know what you think!!

So, now the search begins to find out who Emeline's parents were, where they came from, and where they went.  At least now, I am looking in the right direction!!

from family search


Emeline Bennett

mentioned in the record of Charles Frederick Myers and Emma Frances Parker
NameEmeline Bennett
genderFemale
HusbandBejamin
DaughterEmma Frances Parker
Other information in the record of Charles Frederick Myers and Emma Frances Parker
from New York, New York City Marriage Records
NameCharles Frederick Myers
Event TypeMarriage
Event Date20 Sep 1875
Event PlaceBrooklyn, Kings, New York, United States
Event Place (Original)Brooklyn, Kings, New York
GenderMale
Age20
Marital StatusSingle
Birth Year (Estimated)1855
BirthplaceFlatbush L. Island, New York
Father's NameSamuel Sneden Myers
Mother's NameElizabeth C. Smith
Spouse's NameEmma Frances Parker
Spouse's GenderFemale
Spouse's Age19
Spouse's Marital StatusSingle
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated)1856
Spouse's BirthplaceHighland, New York
Spouse's Father's NameBejamin
Spouse's Mother's NameEmeline Bennett
Citing this Record
"New York, New York City Marriage Records, 1829-1940," database, FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24Z2-KN1 : 10 February 2018), Emeline Bennett in entry for Charles Frederick Myers and Emma Frances Parker, 20 Sep 1875; citing Marriage, Brooklyn, Kings, New York, United States, New York City Municipal Archives, New York; FHL microfilm 1,543,916.

cropped picture of name in census


what do you think the first name is?


Until next time,,,,,,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life saver,,,,,,,

The Lumberland Rifle Company, 1843

It's just a theory,,,,,,,