I'm so confused,,,,,,,

Greetings!

I am so confused it stopped being funny about an hour ago!!

I have a copy of probate records for Penelope Bennett dated in 1843.  All the names are correct, including that of my great great grandmother, Emeline Bennett Parker.  This would lead me to believe Penelope died in 1843.  However, all other records I have found, including her grave say she died in 1864.  How do you probate an estate of someone who is not deceased?

To further confirm I have the correct Penelope Bennett, married name Crawford I have a copy of her father's probate records which again confirm all the names including my great great grandparents.

In Penelope's records, it states her brother William, deceased.  William was the father of my great great grandmother, Emeline and he was indeed deceased by 1843, he died in 1839.  In her father Abraham's records it states a son, William deceased.  Abraham died in 1842 so that is also correct.  In both cases this is the reason my great great grandmother and her sister were named in the records, their father was deceased.

Everything lines up except the year that Penelope died.  Why?  Was someone trying to steal an inheritance she should have received? Was Penelope estranged from her family and they simply did not know she was still alive?  Hmmm, that really doesn't make sense because if she was estranged from them she would not have written them into her will.   Oh but wait, her married name of Crawford is not on her probate records!  Penelope married Oliver Crawford in the early 1820s so I would imagine her brothers who had the estate probated would have known she had a husband and several children by 1843.  Actually, her father's estate was probated in 1842 so they had to know her married name as it was listed.  Hmmm, another mystery to unravel!!

Below are the estate records of Abraham and Penelope.  I have only included the main page of each, which might not have dates on them.  But I do have the pages with the dates.  Maybe you can see something I am missing?

Abraham's record first:


Penelope's record:



Until next time,,,,,,,

Comments

  1. SOLVED!! I feel so stupid, LOL. That is the probate records of Abraham's sister Penelope, NOT his daughter!! Gosh I wish the Bennetts did not repeat names through the generations and lines, it makes it so confusing, LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A life saver,,,,,,,

The Lumberland Rifle Company, 1843

It's just a theory,,,,,,,