I love old newspapers!!!

Greetings!!

Once again reading through old newspapers has helped me with a brick wall.  This time I was at nyhistoricnewspapers.org I was just doing a general search for my great grandfather, George W Parker when I came across an email regarding him going to a funeral with his wife Ruth.  I did not recognize the name of the person who had died at first.  But then it hit me, that was Ruth's grandmother!!  Meaning that would have been my third great grandmother on Ruth's line!!

I had not researched Ruth's line all that much yet but had done some work on it.  As I sat staring at the article the pieces began to fall into place.  Since then I have also been able to add in my fourth great grandparents as well.

Never under-estimate the information you can find in old newspapers!!  It is amazing to me what I have found and I continue to find things.  I go back to the newspapers time and time again and run new searches.  Yes, I often find additional items.  Yesterday I found another 25+ articles that my great grandfather or someone close in the family was mentioned in.  Sometimes you have to think outside the box a bit with name spellings or broaden your search by searching just the last name.  It is a time consuming process but well worth the effort!!

I am fascinated by George W Parker.  For living in such a rural community he seems to have led quite the interesting life.  I just might have to write a book about him alone.  :-)

The article I found is below, the funeral information is on the bottom half of the article.

Until next time,,,,,,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life saver,,,,,,,

The Lumberland Rifle Company, 1843

It's just a theory,,,,,,,