It's just a theory,,,,,,,

Greetings!

As you might guess I am still digging.  However, with the DNA results and a ton of cross referencing with other matches I have come up with a theory as to the parentage of my great great grandfather, Benjamin B Parker.  I have mentioned in many past posts that he is my brick wall.  He still is but now I have a theory that I think is pretty solid.  I am still digging to try to either prove or disprove this theory and move on to the next one if need be.

First, I have a friend, Richard, who is a descendant of a Charles M Parker.  We do not match in the DNA results, however we each have matches that match to both of us.  In other words,  person A matches to my DNA on the Parker line.  She is also a great great granddaughter of Benjamin.  But she also matches to Richard but with no names in common on their trees.  Her tree is minimal though as she has not gotten back very far on her research yet.

Richard and I share an ancestor through the Schultz line and yet we do not match in DNA.  That leaves me puzzled with some DNA results.  I have found a few other DNA matches to him and I with similar results.

A little more background.  It was always believed that the 3 Parker families that lived in Eldred, NY were not related.  I never believed it but everyone else did.  I have photos of some members of each of the three families and the resemblance is uncanny for those who are not supposed to be related.

Unfortunately, records in rural America back in those days can be somewhat limited making the search even more difficult.  But I am not giving up.  The truth is out there and I will find it!!

Back to my theory.  Below is a chart that I created which shows my theory in more detail.  I am of course the great great granddaughter of Benjamin Parker, Richard is a descendant of Charles Parker through is daughter Laura.

I believe Joseph Parker originated in Haverstraw, Orange, NY.  (Haverstraw is now in Rockland County but at that time it was still in Orange County.  Most of the Parkers that originated in Haverstraw migrated further north in Orange County to Minisink and Deerpark.  Phineas lived most of his adult life in Minisink.  Joseph seemed to move around frequently.  He lived in Minisink, Deerpark and up to Mamakating.  Benjamin's wife Emeline came from Minisink.  I believe Joseph moved around to be close to various family members.  Although I did not list them here I believe he had several children.

Phineas also had several children.  I did not list all of them here as well.  It is possible that Benjamin was one of the oldest and I believe Charles was the youngest.  There is a 20 year gap between Benjamin and Charles but that is not uncommon in large families.  In fact there is 20 years difference between my mother, the youngest in her family and her brother Ben, the oldest. 

Information on the Haverstraw Parkers is very thin, making the search more difficult.  However it appears the earliest ones were there in the 1600s and possibly originated in Scotland.

I have not included all the information I have found, nor my process for cross-searching DNA results because it would turn this post into a book, LOL.  Needless to say the search continues!!  I'm not sure when I will be able to get to a family search center but that would be my next course of action.  For those who do not know the family search centers are run by the Mormons and they have an extensive amount of records available.  Even though I am not in NY they can order copies of any records that I might need.  I feel pretty certain they will have some of those illusive files and documents that I just can't find online.

For now, this is just a theory but I think a pretty darn good one!

Until next time,,,,,,,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life saver,,,,,,,

The Lumberland Rifle Company, 1843