More questions than answers,,,,,,,

Greetings!!

Once again I am back with more questions than answers on my great grandfather, George W Parker Sr.  It seems like he is throwing me curve balls from the grave, LOL.

I have never been able to find him in an 1870 census.  I was pretty sure the reason he was not in the 1865 state census was he was just getting out of the army after the civil war.  That was expected, but the 1870 census was a mystery to me.  

Recently I came across a newspaper clip about his marriage to my great grandmother Ruth A Hulse.  It stated, they were married January 30th 1870 at the home of her father Albert Hulse and all were living in Bethel, NY at the time of the marriage.  A-ha!!  I know where he was in 1870!!


Well,,,,,,,  not quite.  Yes, he was there to get married, but he still was not listed in the census.  Ugh!!  So the marriage was January 30th.  The census for Bethel was enumerated in July,


about 6 months after the marriage and lo and behold Ruth is listed as still living at her father's house and by her maiden name!!  But where's George?  No where to be found!!


I still cannot find George in any censuses for 1870.  George and Ruth did not have their first child, my grandfather, Warren until 1874, which makes me wonder, did they not live together as husband and wife until sometime in 1873 when my grandfather would have been conceived?  If not, where was he?  Knowing George's pension for having multiple wives was he already married to someone else before he married Ruth?  If so, who was it?  Did they have children?  Why was Ruth still using her maiden name 6 months after they were married?  If he had another wife, did Ruth know?

So many questions, so few answers!!  I need to get back to the newspapers and see if anything turns up.  

I am eternally grateful to Tom Tryninski at fultonhistory.com for his site.  To my knowledge, this is the only site that has the Monticello Republican Watchman online for searching.  And this is the main paper that covered the area my ancestors lived in.  I have found a tremendous amount of information combing through those newspapers.  I'm also grateful to nyshistoricalnewspapers.org for the additional Sullivan County newspapers they provide for searching.  Both sites are free!!

Until next time,,,,,,,




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life saver,,,,,,,

The Lumberland Rifle Company, 1843

It's just a theory,,,,,,,